• Page:

TOPIC: eSAP question

eSAP question 7 years 8 months ago #1125

• J. QUIGLEY
  • J. QUIGLEY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Folks

I asked this question on the RCGroups LSF progress area, so far no reply. I probably put it in the wrong area so I will ask here.

I have a question regarding the SAP & eSAP rules with respect to the spot landings.

The SAP is clear to me as the intent is to achieve the landing from a reasonable height. A hand launch to the spot is not rearly in the spirit of the game unless by chance a pilot launched into a thermal and soared for 5 minutes achieving a spot for L1/2.

The eSAP is where I have a real question. Section 7: a thermal flight is max run time of 30 seconds max height 200M. All good.

Section 9: Min height 200M For a spot landing

Hypothetically in a contesst a competitor may stop their motor at 150M, soar for say a 6 minute contest and not get to over 200M then land within the LSF L1/L2 landing . Strictly speaking that landing is not exceptable to the eSAP.

Has this been forseen before and answered somewhere I cant find? Have I missed something?

Suggest that any landing in a contest that meets L1 / L2 should be exceptable.

Comments please.

Cheers john Quigley LSF4

eSAP question 7 years 8 months ago #1126

• SKYE MALCOLM
I think the spirit and intent of the spot landing task is exactly to promote competent and safe landings in contests. That's what's been passed down through the history of the LSF. Therefore I would feel free to write down any landings achieved on any ESAP voucher from any TD mixed launch, ALES or F5J contest. Because the difference in terms of difficulty of hitting a landing from 200 meters vs 150 or 100 meters is non existent.

Skye Malcolm
LSF Secretary

eSAP question 7 years 8 months ago #1127

• J. QUIGLEY
  • J. QUIGLEY's Avatar Topic Author
G'day Skye

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you say about the heights in my explanation. However, to be more clear regarding what I am trying to explain is, I find with the eSAP, Section 7 and section 9 in conflict with one another.

In a contest one must have a max launch of 200M the spot landings requirements for L1 & L2 must be done from a launch height above 200M

Therefore contest landings can not be a credit for L1 or L2.

regards John Quigley

eSAP question 7 years 8 months ago #1128

• SKYE MALCOLM
I'm suggesting that contest landings should count for Level I and II landing tasks, despite the clear wording to the contrary on the eSAP. When the eSAP was written it was the de facto thought 200 meters was going to be the launch height so that's why the wording was put in there and it was thought it was a good analogy to a minimum length of hi start and winch line that is in the traditional SAP. However with experience and more recent trends to drop launch heights it's only reasonable to adjust.

Therefore please follow the advice input forward in the previous post.

Thank you for asking the question since its been posed before.

Skye Malcolm
LSF Secretary
LSF #8070, Level IV
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds